The distressing news of the unmarked graves of children attending the residential school in Kamloops has rocked our nation and even the world! As you cover the people impacted directly and the people responding to this tragedy in prayer, you may wish to deepen your own learning journey into the indigenous context in Canada so you can pray most meaningfully. Here are some resources:
- https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/ (
National Inquiry into Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women and Girls Final Report)
- http://www.trc.ca/ (Truth and Reconciliation Report – 2015)
- Mohawk Institute Virtual Tour(Residential School in Brantford, ON). Wednesday, June 16th is the next tour for which you can register, and a $10 donation is suggested.
- Honour and Uphold Indigenous Rights – Bill C-15 – This is a simple task because the email supporting the legislation to implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples is ready for you to read and send. You will also find opportunities to learn more!
- Hearts Exchanged website This is a new opportunity from the CRCNA for you to learn more about the Indigenous reconciliation journey. It will start in Sept 2021. Sign up to join if you’re interested.
June is Indigenous History Month and June 21st is our National Indigenous Peoples Day. May God grant us wisdom and grace as He invites us to partner with Him in bringing His Kingdom into the brokenness of the past and His vision for the future, as well as into our hearts and minds.