Sermon Discussion Questions for Home Church and others
Leviticus 19:33-34, “The Practice of Hospitality”
Theme: God calls us to make space for visitors and strangers by extending to them the privileges of family.
- Opening: Share about a time when you experienced meaningful hospitality. What made it meaningful or effective?
- Talk about how hospitality / welcoming the stranger shows up as a theme in the Bible.
- How would you define the faith practice of hospitality?
- What are barriers to hospitality? (Pastor Cara outlined a few.) Which one resonates most with you, and how might you address that challenge?
- How does the practice of hospitality affect the one who receives hospitality? The one who gives it? Share some examples if you can.
- What is one way you might incorporate the Faith Practice of Hospitality into your life this week?
Resources that Pastor Cara benefitted from this week:
– Movie: The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock (based on a true story)
– Book: Reaching Out: The Three Movements of the Christian Life by Henri Nouwen
– Book: Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition by Christine Pohl
– Book: The Other Face of God by Mary Jo Leddy
– Podcast: Open to Wonder – April 11, 2023 episode with Amy Peterson (Hospitality)