Sermon Discussion Questions, October 23, 2022
Hebrews 12:14-17 (also 4-29), “Holiness in Community”
Theme: God—our Just Judge, our Loving Father—invites us into holiness (wholeness?) through Jesus—our Mediator, our Brother.
- Opener: Share a story of discipline (from your past, from your own parenting, from a book or movie).
- What does it mean for God to be holy? Some possible follow-ups: Is God scary? How do you understand “God is a consuming fire” (12:29)? (Consider God as Judge and God as Father, 12:18-29 and 12:4-11.)
- How are you like Esau (12:16-17; see Genesis 25:27-34; 27)?
- How are we made holy? How is God making us holy?
- Is there a tension between “live at peace with everyone” and “be holy” (12:14)? Could the call to holiness be a barrier to unity in the Church? Why or why not?
If you haven’t done so already, sign up as individuals or as a group for a Service Worship site (happening next Sunday, October 30!).