23-05-07 Sermon Questions
Sermon Discussion Questions for Home Church and others
Micah 6:1-8 “The Practice of Justice and Mercy”
Theme: God calls us to practice justice and mercy, being like him (“Micah”) in tangible ways.
- Opening: Talk about names. What does your name mean? Share a story of someone given a special name.
- If you haven’t done so already, browse through the Faith Practices booklet or the related website https://www.crcna.org/FaithPracticesProject. What catches your attention? What do you think or feel about exploring faith practices this spring?
- Pastor Cara noted that the name Micah means “who is like God.” What is God like, according to Micah 6:1-8? What are other Bible passages that are helpful to you for understanding God’s character?
- How does doing justice and mercy fit into the life of a Christian? Are they “requirements? Why or why not?
- Share a story of a person or organization or event that inspires you in the practice of justice and mercy.
- Micah 6:8 emphasizes action (act, love, walk) in the spirit of justice, mercy, and humility. Such action can feel challenging and overwhelming. What is one verb (action word, think A to Z) that might be doable for you this week or month in order to practice justice and mercy as a “Micah”?
- (Optional) How is Faith Church doing in the work of justice and mercy? How are the elders and deacons helping our church family practice these aspects of the Christian life? Consider, individually or as a Home Church, sending a note to Council encouraging their work or asking them to consider something new.