Sermon Questions for Reflection and/or Discussion, September 17, 2023
Series: What the Spirit Says
Text: Revelation 2:1-7
Title: “Church, be an Effective Lampstand!”
- Opening: Share about your summer. Describe a moment / experience when you especially felt God’s Love or Presence (or felt loved by others). Optional: If you worshiped at Faith this summer, sharing in our Faith Practices series, which Faith Practice helped you or struck you most in your journey with Jesus?
- Read Jesus’ letter to Ephesus together, Rev 2:1-7. What is commendable about the Ephesian church? What are Jesus’ complaint and warning?
- In this passage (and see Rev 1:20), churches are referred to as lampstands. Share what you know about lamps and lampstands in the Bible / elsewhere. This passage implies that the functioning of the Ephesian church as a lampstand was at risk. What characteristics make a church an effective lampstand?
- How is Faith Church doing as a lampstand? How can we grow more effective as a lampstand? How might you personally or as a Home Church be part of this growth
- “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Based on this letter, what is the Spirit saying to you? to Faith Church? How will you respond? Note: Anytime you reflect on what the Spirit is saying during this series, consider sharing your insights with others for communal encouragement, correction, accountability, and/or growth.