Sermon Questions for Reflection and/or Discussion, October 15, 2023
Series: What the Spirit Says
Text: Revelation 2:12-17
Title: “Church, Align Yourself with my (S)Word!”
1. Opening: Talk about your experience with weapons. Share a story of an encounter with a weapon, positive (reassuring, even fun) or negative (scary, damaging, traumatizing).
2. Read together Jesus’ letter to the church of Pergamum, Rev 2:12-17. What are the teachings of “Balaam” and the Nicolaitans? Why does Jesus call the church to repent from following / allowing these teachings?
3. What idols are prominent in our culture? In your life personally? What behaviours indicate that we are shifting loyalties away from Jesus toward these idols? If we have committed our lives to following Jesus, why do we still do these things?
4. Talk about the image of Jesus and his sword. How do you respond to this image? Toward what or whom is Jesus’ sword directed?
5. What is one thing you might do this week to align yourself more closely with Jesus’ sword / Word? Or, using the images of the letter, how might the Spirit help you move away from “food sacrificed to idols” and toward “hidden manna”? To help you “stay true to [Jesus’] name” so that you may receive “a white stone with a new name”?
6. “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Based on this letter, what is the Spirit saying to you? to Faith Church? How will you respond? Note: Anytime you reflect on what the Spirit is saying during this series, consider sharing your insights with others for communal encouragement, correction, accountability, and/or growth.