Sermon Discussion Questions for Home Church and others
Luke 19:28-48, “Peace! Haven or Heaven?”
Theme: Jesus Christ the king is bringing the true peace of heaven to earth.
- Opening: Where or what is your “haven”?
- Jesus’ triumphal entry is told in every gospel, but with different details. (Compare, if you like, Luke’s version with Matthew 21:1-17, Mark 11:1-11, and John 12:12-19). Any thoughts about why Luke includes / doesn’t include certain details? How do you respond when you see disagreements in the gospel accounts – anxious about biblical authority, or something else?
- Talk about the peace Jesus came to bring. Is the haven-heaven distinction helpful?
- What conflict / brokenness makes you weep, and what is one thing God might be inviting you to do to bring heaven to earth?
- Lent, and thus our journey to Jerusalem, are almost over. Spend some time sharing reflections about how you responded to the challenge to journey with Jesus to Jerusalem through a type of fasting or another spiritual practice. What did you learn? How were you changed? What would you like to continue post-Easter?